May 23, 2018 All day event
This is the 90th anniversary of the departure of the Italia Airship from Longyearbyen to the North Pole. The Museum will present the restored RED TENT, where the airship crash survivors lived for 48 days on floating ice. Uni Milan physics department will commemorate Aldo Pontremoli, Milanese physicists who disappeared in the airship crash.
Polarquest and partners will present the details of their July/Aug expedition and the science on board.
A visit to the Air and Sea exploration area of the Museum, where the red tent will be staged permanently, will follow.
CONFERENCE AND PRESS EVENT (AM)
- Polar Science & Exploration yesterday and today
- Science onboard ITALIA / Aldo Pontremoli (Uni MI, physics dept.)
- the polar flight of Admiral Richard E. Byrd in 1926 (Hamilton)
- Science today and onboard Nanuq (ISMAR, EU University Rome, INFN-Centro Fermi)
- The Red Tent project
- Polarquest on the tracks of the Airship: previous expeditions (Stefano Poli) and Polarquest18 expedition (Peter Gallinelli + CRS4)
- Searching for Amundsen plane (Monica Christenssen)
- Live link /Virtual visit Krassin St. Petersbourg?
- Visit and Cocktail
POPULAR EVENT (after 6 pm)
- CONFERENCE polar hero?
- Popular Citizen science demos/worshops of Polarquest citizen science technologies on board (Cosmic detector, Smart phones, Drones and Submarine Rovers)
- Meet the grandchildren of the ITALIA crew members (they are in contact with me) ?
Joint press release by all partners for the 3 events 23-25 May